Guidance Caring for an Incapacitated Loved-One

Power of Attorney, Living Trust
and Advance Health Care Directive

TPLG will expertly guide you through the legal steps relating to caring for a loved-one, providing legal advice, preparing necessary paperwork, and interacting with the court, government agencies, and other interested parties. 

Manage loved-one's health care decisions

Manage loved-one's assets, finances, and creditors

Obtain government assistance for loved-one's care

No More Sleepless Nights Worrying About the Legal Aspects of Caring for Your Loved-One

What We Can Do For You:

Identify proper procedures for managing loved-one’s health and personal care

Minimize death taxes, capital gains taxes, and real property taxes

Use your loved-one’s Durable Power of Attorney and/or Trust to put you in charge of their accounts and finances

Minimize your liability to loved-one’s beneficiaries and tax authorities

Assist with management of unusual assets

Deal with loved-one’s debts and creditors 

You deserve expert legal guidance at a fair price

We started Trust & Probate Law Group to help people like you

We get it. We understand the headaches of acting as trustees, agents under durable powers of attorney, and conservators. We have over 20 years experience guiding people like you.

Services We Provide to Trustees and Agents under a Durable Power of Attorney

  1. Identify documents governing the estate or trust, interpret the terms of those documents, identifying ambiguities and potential challenges
  2. Represent you for the entire process, or consult with you on one or more specific points, at your request
  3. Provide personalized legal advice for your unique situation
  4. Analyze validity of documents signed by decedent while possibly mentally incapacitated or under undue influence or fraud
  5. Determine whether court involvement is necessary, and if so, determine which court to use
  6. Assist you in deciding whether to serve as trustee or agent
  7. Determine who should be in charge of the estate or trust, whether a neutral 3rd party should be used, and arrange for the right person to be appointed to the position, whether by documents or by court order
  8. Advise and assist with management (or sale) of unusual assets, such as complex investments, business or partnership interests, out-of-state property, mineral rights, farm, ranch, timber, and mining land, and royalties from copyrights or patents
  9. Advise and assist with debts, creditors, and insolvency of the estate, including past-due child support and spousal support
  10. Advise regarding dealings with loved-one’s family members
  11. Manage disputes against your loved-one
  12. Advise regarding disagreements among family members
  13. Advise and assist in situations where someone interferes with, or challenges, your activities on behalf of your loved-one
  14. Determine if loved-one should take additional estate planning steps
  15. Coordinate with your tax preparer to assure that your loved-one’s taxes are appropriately filed and paid
  16. Represent you in probate court for
    1. Spousal petitions,
    2. Title-clearing petitions, and/or
    3. Trust-related petitions (such as Heggstad petitions, trust modifications and beneficiary determinations)
  17. Provide required notices to contingent beneficiaries, heirs, and government agencies
  18. Provide information to title companies to assist with the sale of estate real property
  19. Classify assets as separate property vs community property
  20. Ensure proper preparation of paperwork for all the tasks listed above

3 Simple Steps to Begin Caring for a Loved-One's Affairs

hands of man in suit dialing phone

1. Call for a free, no-obligation phone consultation with an attorney

This call typically takes about 10 – 15 minutes, to determine if we are the right attorneys for your situation. If not, we will try to send you to someone who is.

estate planning documents

2. Send your loved-one's estate planning documents

We usually need copies of any existing Durable Powers of Attorney, Health Care Directives, and Trust documents. 

You may provide them to us by email, upload, or regular mail.

smiling woman making a phone call

3. Free, 1-Hour, No-Obligation Consultation with Expert Trust & Estate Attorney

We will tell you what needs to be done and give you an estimate of how long it will take and what it will cost.

Communicating with You Throughout Your Case


Quick responses to your questions, calls, emails, and texts


We'll meet with you within a few days whenever you request a meeting


We'll communicate with you by text or email and meet by Zoom or phone


We will help you understand the process and next steps